Hispanics Consumerism Growing and Twice as Receptive to Online Ads as Non-Hispanics: Data PointsAugust 1, 2012
There are 50.5 million Hispanics in the United States comprising 16.3% of the country’s total population. Over the past decade, the population of U.S. Hispanics has grown 43%, and attributed to 56% of the nation’s growth.
In 2011, the purchasing power of the U.S. Hispanic market was recorded at 1.09 TRILLON dollars. That number is projected to grow to 48.1% to 1.6 trillion dollars by 2016. During the same period of time, the U.S. spending power is projected to grow by only 27.5%.
Online, U.S. Hispanics are also the fastest growing segment, demonstrating the highest growth rates in 2011 (7.2% growth) and projected to be the highest growing segment for the next five years. U.S. Hispanics are leading the way for population growth, Internet growth, online video growth, smartphone and tablet penetration and buying power!
Did you know…
- 1 in 3 Hispanics are likely to take action after viewing an online banner ad. Hispanics are approximately 2X as receptive to online ads as non-Hispanic audiences.
- Spanish-speaking Hispanics embrace online video and are fueling the growth of online video.
- Hispanic mobile users are nearly 17 percentage points more likely to use mobile web than whites.
- 19% of all Hispanics will use a tablet in 2012 vs. 16% of white Americans.
- Among those exposed to online advertising on Hispanic/Latino sites, there is a 2.0% increase in intent to purchase the brand, as opposed to the 1.2% increase seen at the overall normative level.
- Furthermore, respondents exposed to ads on Hispanic/Latino sites also display stronger impact on Brand Favorability.
- Spanish Dominate Hispanics extend their average 24 hour day into a 31 hour day, largely through multi-tasking with digital media.
- In 2011, the biggest lift in online video site usage was among Bilinguals and Spanish Dominate, 66% of whom used video sites.
- Hispanics spent more per online transaction than non-Hispanics: $103.19 vs. $90.82, respectively.
- Hispanics over-index in smartphone adaptation, 45% vs. 31% of the entire population and 27% of white Americans.
- Hispanics are early adopters of the iPhone and Android platforms, with more than 30% iPhone users are Hispanic and another 30% owners.
- Hispanics use their mobile phone to access the Internet more than any other group. 32% vs. 25.5% non-Hispanic.
- In 2012, 18.9% of Hispanics will own a tablet, vs. 17.3% ownership of the total population.